Thursday, May 31, 2007

Dope & Dupe

I'm writing a play about an atheist and a fundamentalist. The working title is "Dupe."

That title made me wonder if "dupe" is etymologically connected to "dope." Look at the similarity of spelling. Certainly someone who is duped feels like a dope, at least I feel that way.

Alas, there is no connection. "Dupe" is from the French phrase "de huppe," referencing the hoopoe, a bird that some people thought was stupid. (Makes me wonder what hoopoes think of people.) The name "hoopoe" itself is echoic; apparently the bird's cry sounds like that. I haven't heard it myself so I wouldn't know for sure.

But thanks to www.etymonline.com, I do know that "dope" comes from the Dutch "doop," a thick sauce.

All I can say is that the similar spelling of these two words duped me and made me feel like a dope. Maybe this experience will better prepare me to write the play. See you on Broadway.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My own consultation of the Online Etymology Dictionary just now did not support my pet theory that toupée (a device used to fool someone into thinking you have hair) arose from dupé. (In fact, that source suggests that the original toupées were not necessarily worn to counteract baldness.)

9:40 AM, May 31, 2007  
Blogger Murray Suid said...

dupé!

If this were a verbal duel, I'd be dead.

4:12 PM, June 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home